Thursday, April 12, 2007

Imus NO longer in the morning, noon time or evening.

So today I was thinking about the whole Imus thing. With his comment and what not. And then I read that he was fired. First of all, I’m not the biggest Imus fan, but I’m not sure he should’ve been fired (insert boos and hisses here). The thing is, he shouldn’t have said “the comment”. It’s just wrong, but he wasn’t fired for saying “Nappy Headed Ho’s”, no matter what CBS says, he was fired because all the big sponsors pulled ads from Imus’s shows (except for Bigelow Tea), which I think in turn prompted CBS to fire Imus. That and Jesse Jackson and Rev. Al Sharpton, buzzing in Moonves’ ear. What I find ironic and frankly retarded is the fact that he gets fired for saying this horrible comment, which I stress again, not a nice comment, BUT rappers like 50 Cent are allowed to make horrible music and movies that degrade women while big corporate sponsors flock to them. What’s wrong with America?

My thinking is, Imus’ comment will eventually fade away, 50 Cent’s music is listened to on a daily basis by some. Every other song has the word “ho’s and n***ah’s”. Just because he’s African-American shouldn’t give him the right to say this! I find it so hypocritical. And I’m not trying to pick on 50 Cent, he’s just the only rapper who comes to mind right now. It's like he makes a lot of money selling songs that degrade women as whores and then turns around and talks about helping kids by donating to his charities. Those kids in turn, listen to his music and grow up wanting to be like 50 Cent and the cycle begins again. Frankly, this whole ideology scares me. Okay I got off on a tangent there. But I hope I’m making sense.

And don’t even get me started on Jesse Jackson and Rev. Al Sharpton. Why aren’t they out there buzzing in MTV’s ear about rappers like 50 Cent? I bet if I looked hard enough, I would probably find a photo of Fitty and Big Al shaking hands or hangin’ out! And although I can’t be 100% on this, since I never did see “Get Rich or Die Tryin’” but I bet, that in that movie there is probably product placement from American Express Co., Sprint Nextel Corp., Staples Inc., Procter & Gamble Co. and General Motors Corp., the same sponsors who pulled out of Imus’ show. Ridiculous!

What I do find funny is the fact that the press has contacted practically every African-American celebrity to “discuss” Imus’ comment. My favorite was Wanda Sykes on Jay Leno. She was wondering why she was contacted about this, prompting her to ask if she was the spokesperson for nappy headed ho’s. “My hair’s curly, not nappy!”. Wanda is hilarious!

Anyway, so I’m done. And once again, even though I definitely think Imus shouldn’t have said that ridiculous comment, I don’t think he should’ve gotten fired, because then they should fire ALL celebrities who say racial comments, and you damn well they won't. Can anyone say Isaiah Washington?

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home